Wednesday 31 August 2011

Vicarious Pleasures




I can't afford to visit a dentist, even as an NHS patient, and I need to, but I can at least take comfort from the knowledge that foreigners are given free dental treatment thanks to the money extorted with menaces from me by those supposed to be working in my interests. I'm also comforted by the knowledge that my money is helping foreigners to compete in a labour market that has not provided a job for me, and to obtain benefits here that are denied to me. It's particularly pleasing that Mrs Gruff pays three and a half times and nine times our food budget in council tax and income tax respectively per month.

Knowing that others enjoy at our expense a lifestyle Mrs Gruff and I cannot afford for ourselves means that our hitherto self-centred lives are now so much more rewarding.

No comments: